Liverpool Cool Interest in Arsenal's Ethan Nwaneri
Liverpool have cooled talk of a move for Arsenal prodigy Ethan Nwaneri, despite holding genuine admiration for the teenager’s talent.
Speculation exploded on Wednesday when a self-styled “team of five elite reporters” claimed on X that Liverpool and Arsenal had been “locked in intense, high-level talks all day” over Nwaneri, adding that Arsenal were looking to sell the youngster this summer.
That version of events has quickly been challenged.
Liverpool’s winger plan: Barcola, Mbaye… not Nwaneri
Liverpool are in the market for a right-sided attacker as they plan for life after Mohamed Salah. Nwaneri, capable of operating off the right or as a No 10, briefly emerged as a surprise name on the radar, with the club known to rate his ceiling.
But Anfield Sector moved to shut down the idea that a bid is imminent. Posting on X, they stated that while there is “admiration for his abilities as a footballer”, there is “no desire to complete a transfer currently as things stand.”
Liverpool’s focus remains fixed on Paris Saint-Germain duo Bradley Barcola and Ibrahim Mbaye. Talks with PSG are ongoing, with the French champions quoting a huge €200million (£171m) for the pair as Liverpool try to drag that figure down to something remotely realistic.
Arsenal’s stance: not for sale… unless the offer is right
Arsenal, for their part, are not openly touting Nwaneri or fellow academy product Myles Lewis-Skelly, but they are listening.
Asked about the futures of the two youngsters, Arsenal CEO Richard Garlick acknowledged the growing noise.
“There’s been a lot of speculation around players,” he said. “I can’t stop other clubs being interested. I think Myles has had a fantastic end to last season and has started this one really well – we’re very, very happy with him.
“Ethan has had a great pre-season as well and I think it’s just a case of looking at what opportunities there are that will help both of those in terms of their career moving forward. We are not actively looking at selling those homegrown players but if the right opportunity came up – right for them and the club – we’d obviously consider that.”
The message is clear: Arsenal are not pushing Nwaneri out of the door, but they will listen if a serious proposal lands on the table, likely with a buy-back clause attached.
A different path for Nwaneri?
If Nwaneri does move, current indications point away from Anfield.
Fabrizio Romano outlined the scale of interest on Monday, describing “a lot of interest” and listing AC Milan, several German clubs and Galatasaray among those to have made contact with Arsenal. He added that Premier League sides are also preparing to “knock on the door” for the 17-year-old.
“There is a feeling at Arsenal that Premier League clubs are now going to knock on the door and try to get a deal done for Ethan Nwaneri,” Romano said, predicting “a lot of movement on the boy” and stressing that the final call will rest with Nwaneri, his agents and his family.
TEAMtalk have since reported that Borussia Dortmund, long known for developing young attacking talent, are actively seeking a new winger and hold concrete interest in Nwaneri. The England youth international is understood to be valued in the £35-50m bracket.
So while Liverpool step back, the queue elsewhere is forming fast. Now the question is not whether there will be offers for Ethan Nwaneri this summer, but which project convinces him that it is the right stage for the next act of his career.





