Sheffield United Faces Court Battle Over £35m Debt
Sheffield United’s season hangs over a courtroom.
On Wednesday, the club’s owners face a winding-up order in the High Court – a case that could trigger a 12-point deduction in the Championship and rip straight through their campaign before it has truly begun.
This is not Sheffield United, the football club, being taken to court. The petition is against COH Sports Bidco Limited (CSBL), the American-based consortium that agreed to buy the Blades in December 2024. But the lines between club and company are now blurred enough to make the English Football League sit up and take notice.
A £100m deal, a £35m problem
CSBL agreed to purchase Sheffield United from United World, the vehicle used by Saudi Arabian Prince Abdullah bin Mosaad Al Saud, for just over £100m.
United World says more than £35m of that fee is still unpaid.
The winding-up petition was lodged against CSBL on 8 July. If that £35m is not settled, or a deal is not struck, CSBL could be wound up by the High Court. That is the immediate threat.
The wider danger lies in what happens next.
Prince Abdullah’s decade around Bramall Lane has been turbulent. He bought 50% of the club in 2013 and only secured full control in 2019 after a long and bitter High Court battle. Under his ownership, Sheffield United were deducted two points in the Championship last season for missed transfer payments dating back to the 2022-23 campaign.
When United World finally sold to CSBL, the story was supposed to move on. It hasn’t.
CSBL made an initial payment when the sale closed. The first major instalment, due last year, arrived late and only after a statutory demand, paid on the deadline. Now comes the contested £35m – a sum the new owners do not deny is outstanding.
This is the debt at the heart of Wednesday’s hearing.
The 1919 Partners twist
The situation veers into new territory because of a move made in June.
That month, the shares in Sheffield United were transferred out of CSBL and into a new US-based company, 1919 Partners LLC. That entity is now described as the “parent company of Sheffield United”.
On paper, CSBL no longer controls the club. In practice, the same men are in charge.
CSBL is led by businessmen Steven Rosen and Helmy Eltoukhy. They remain on the Sheffield United board as co-chairmen, now through 1919 Partners LLC. The ownership structure has shifted, but the faces at the top of the club have not.
United World claims that is no coincidence.
On Monday, the former owners issued a stinging statement, calling the creation of 1919 Partners LLC “an attempt to avoid paying CSBL’s creditors”. They said no offer had been made to settle the £35m since the winding-up order was issued and accused Rosen and Eltoukhy of “trying to take the club without paying for it”.
Sources close to the current Sheffield United ownership responded with a statement that swerved the direct allegations.
“We are disappointed Prince Abdullah is trying to hurt the club and its supporters with publicity stunts,” it read.
“The deal between sophisticated parties in 2024 was well-advised by his financial advisors.
“Sheffield United is financially healthy, unlike under Prince Abdullah when the club incurred a points deduction for missing payments to football creditors.
“Nonetheless, Helmy Eltoukhy and Steven Rosen invited Abdullah to reinvest in the club and join the ownership of Sheffield United and to help use his skills to support our promotion efforts.
“Helmy and Steve are focused on the sustainability of the club and the season ahead.”
United World hit back again on Tuesday. “Sophisticated and well-advised parties pay the price they agreed,” it said.
Offering shares instead of money, it argued, “was not part of the agreed deal and is not payment”.
“If Sheffield United is as financially healthy as its owners claim, and the owners themselves have the means they are widely reported to have, then the money can be paid.
“Paying it would answer all questions about the club’s situation at once. Instead, the owners are running a club they have not paid for and the club’s financial health, such as it is, is the result of the owners’ scheme to avoid paying for the club.”
The war of words is fierce. The legal stakes are higher.
What can the EFL do?
Neither the EFL nor the Independent Football Regulator (IFR) has publicly commented on the transfer of shares to 1919 Partners LLC.
The IFR did confirm it is monitoring events.
“We are aware of the winding-up petition in relation to COH Sports Bidco,” it said on Tuesday. “We are engaging with the club and relevant organisations on this issue, but we cannot comment further at this stage.”
The regulations the EFL works with are not straightforward here. When a club itself goes into administration, the rules are clear and the punishment – a points deduction – is standard.
When a “group undertaking”, such as a parent company or related entity, suffers an insolvency event, the picture is more nuanced. The EFL board is instructed to consider factors including “the need to protect the integrity and continuity of the competition” and “the reputation of the league”.
If the High Court winds up CSBL, the EFL will have a stark question in front of it.
Have the owners moved the club’s shares into a fresh company, leaving a large chunk of the purchase price stranded in the old one, with the expectation that the debt will effectively be written off? If so, could that be deemed a breach of its rules?
That scenario could lead to sanctions. A 12-point deduction for an insolvency event is one option available.
There is precedent of sorts. In 2009, Southampton were docked 10 points after their parent company went into administration. An investigation concluded the club and parent were “inextricably linked as one economic entity”, and the EFL applied its mandatory penalty.
Sheffield United’s case is not identical, but the echoes are loud enough to make Championship rivals pay attention.
Uncertainty on and off the pitch
United World says it does not want to see Sheffield United dragged through months of doubt.
“As the former owners of SUFC, United World does not want to see SUFC facing months of uncertainty that will follow the winding-up order being granted on 19 August,” its statement said.
“But in the absence of Eltoukhy and Rosen, both billionaires, agreeing to pay what they owe, we have no alternative but to take all legal steps to protect our interests.”
For now, the club’s players and staff prepare for a Championship season with a potential 12-point handicap looming over them, entirely dependent on a case involving a company that technically no longer owns the club.
The next move belongs to the High Court on Wednesday. If no compromise is reached and a winding-up order is granted against CSBL, this will not be the end of the saga.
It will be the start of a much bigger fight over who really pays for Sheffield United – and what price the club might pay on the pitch.





