MaplePitch Logo

Manchester United Lead Race for Edmond Tapsoba

Manchester United have pushed themselves to the front of the queue for Edmond Tapsoba, muscling ahead of Tottenham Hotspur and Newcastle United in the battle for the Bayer Leverkusen defender.

The German outlet Fussball Daten revealed earlier this week that all three Premier League clubs had made contact with the centre-back’s representatives to explore a deal. Tapsoba, 27, has grown into one of the standout defenders in the Bundesliga, a key figure in Leverkusen’s title-winning side and now a prime target for England’s elite.

By Thursday, the picture had sharpened. TEAMtalk reported that United are now “leading the race”, with talks between the club and Tapsoba’s camp described as the “most advanced” so far. Spurs and Newcastle remain in the frame, but United have moved with greater intent.

Leverkusen’s stance is clear. According to the report, the German champions have set a firm asking price of €50m (£42.8m / $58.4m) for their defender. They would rather keep him – Tapsoba only signed a contract extension until 2031 earlier this year – but they have left the door open if a bid hits that valuation.

It is not hard to see why they value him so highly. Inside the Bundesliga, Tapsoba is viewed as one of the most complete centre-backs around: powerful in duels, comfortable stepping out with the ball, and athletic enough to patrol big spaces behind the back line. A modern defender, built for high lines and high stakes.

For United, the timing feels significant.

INEOS are trying to close a deal for Brighton midfielder Carlos Baleba and are also hunting a new left-back. Yet pressure is building to address the heart of Michael Carrick’s defence. Concerns linger over Matthijs de Ligt’s long-term fitness, while Harry Maguire, now 33, could leave at the end of the season. The prospect of going into another campaign with essentially the same core back four has not gone unnoticed.

Landing a title-winning Bundesliga centre-half of Tapsoba’s calibre would change the tone around Old Trafford’s summer. It would also answer some of the fiercest criticism aimed at the club’s hierarchy in recent days.

Speaking on Sky Sports on Tuesday, Jamie O’Hara did not hold back.

“I think it’s a disgrace what they’ve done to Carrick,” he said. “They’ve brought him in. They’ve said, ‘We’re going to back you’. They gave him the opportunity. He [has] done a fantastic job last season to get them back in the Champions League, and they’ve given him two players.

“Youri Tielemans is alright. Great signing. And Andrey Santos, who’s, you know… we’re not convinced that he’s even a decent player yet.

“Manchester United are miles off it, and we’re talking about them being in the Champions League.

“They’ve got the same back four they had maybe three or four years ago.

“Luke Shaw is going to have another season at left-back. Fair play to him. Harry Maguire at centre-back. Come on.

“Like, we’re talking about Manchester United. They’re meant to be trying to get back amongst it.”

That is the backdrop to United’s move for Tapsoba: a manager demanding backing, a defence stuck in time, and a club under fire for moving too slowly. If they get this one over the line, it will not just be a signing. It will be a statement about what they want this era to be.