Roy Keane Warns Manchester United About Defence Despite Smart Signings
Roy Keane has praised Manchester United’s change of transfer strategy – then immediately warned it still might not be enough to mount a title challenge because of their defence.
Michael Carrick’s side have reshaped their midfield after a turbulent summer, but the former United captain believes the back line remains a glaring weakness heading into the new Premier League season.
Keane impressed by “under the radar” recruitment
United have moved quickly to reinforce Carrick’s options in the middle of the pitch. Youri Tielemans and Andrey Santos have arrived to help plug the gap left by Casemiro, who departed on a free transfer, while Manuel Ugarte’s serious World Cup injury has only sharpened the need for reinforcements.
Brighton’s Carlos Baleba is also closing in on a switch to Old Trafford in a deal worth £65million plus £5m in add-ons, as United continue to target younger, athletic midfielders with Premier League or European experience.
Speaking on the latest Stick to Football podcast, Keane acknowledged that United’s recruitment department has finally started to learn from past mistakes.
“We have to give United credit for a little bit,” he said. “The recent recruitment, they have come back to players who know the Premier League.
“That’s been a big one. It’s obviously the same mindset this year, bringing players in who are maybe under the radar, not your huge money, but again, some of Man United’s greatest signings going back over the last 20 or 30 years have been players under the radar.
“It’s not always necessarily about spending £100m on somebody. I think these players will be good for Man United…”
So far, so positive. Then came the sting.
“…but being good and trying to win a league title… I think that defence is the big problem.”
Defensive doubts overshadow midfield rebuild
Keane’s warning cuts through the early optimism around United’s summer. The club have been stung repeatedly in recent years by big-money signings who struggled to adapt to the Premier League, and there is a clear attempt now to pivot towards more grounded, system-friendly additions.
Yet in Keane’s eyes, the core issue has simply shifted from one area of the pitch to another. The midfield looks deeper, more balanced on paper. The defence, he fears, could undo all of that work once the season starts.
The concern is not about one individual. It is about whether the entire unit can withstand the demands of a title race, particularly with rivals strengthening and attacking lines across the division growing sharper.
Backing away from big-money battles
Keane also backed United’s decision to step aside from several expensive pursuits this summer. The club walked away from deals for Mateus Fernandes, Sandro Tonali and Elliot Anderson, all of whom ended up elsewhere.
Fernandes and Tonali have joined Tottenham Hotspur, while Anderson completed a move to Manchester City, leaving some fans wondering if United had missed out.
Keane sees it differently.
“I think the rumours are that they were told that the fees were going to keep going up and at some stage you have to back away, don’t you?” he said.
“You look at their other signings though, United seem to be in that bracket of buying lads for £50, 60m. They obviously had their fingers burned over the last few years, but again they were buying players who weren’t used to the Premier League.”
The message is clear: restraint, for once, might be a strength rather than a sign of weakness in the market.
Clock ticking before Hull opener
United still have time to act. The transfer window does not close until 11pm on September 1, leaving room for Carrick and the club’s hierarchy to address any remaining gaps in the squad.
They may need to. The season starts with a potential trap: a lunchtime trip to newly-promoted Hull City on Saturday at 12:30pm. It is the kind of fixture that can either calm the nerves or confirm the worst fears about a shaky back line.
United’s midfield looks refreshed. The recruitment strategy looks smarter. Keane’s verdict, though, hangs over Old Trafford like a challenge: will the defence hold when the real pressure starts?






