MaplePitch Logo

Liverpool Pursues Ibrahim Mbaye and Bradley Barcola for Attack Reshape

Liverpool are moving fast in their bid to reshape the attack – and Paris is right at the heart of it.

The club’s pursuit of Ibrahim Mbaye is described as “progressing rapidly”, with the Paris Saint-Germain winger having agreed terms on a five-year deal that would keep him at Anfield until 2031, according to reports in France. Talks between the clubs are expected to accelerate, with Liverpool pushing to get the deal over the line before the English transfer window closes on September 1.

At the same time, Liverpool are preparing a new offer for Mbaye’s PSG team-mate Bradley Barcola. The France international has long been identified as the preferred heir to Mohamed Salah, the club icon who left at the end of last season and has since joined Trabzonspor. Barcola is viewed inside Anfield as the marquee attacking signing still missing from this summer’s rebuild.

So far, the window has been defined more by defensive reinforcement than attacking fireworks. Jeremy Jacquet and Ronald Araujo have arrived to bolster the back line, while Victor Munoz – snapped up when Liverpool triggered his £34.5 million release clause at Osasuna during the World Cup – remains the only senior addition in the final third.

For Andoni Iraola, that is not nearly enough. The new head coach inherits a frontline in transition. Alexander Isak carries the tag of record signing. Munoz adds pedigree. Teenage prospect Rio Ngumoha brings raw excitement. But behind them, the depth chart thins quickly.

Hugo Ekitike is a long-term absentee through injury. The futures of Cody Gakpo and Federico Chiesa are uncertain, with both players the subject of ongoing doubt around their roles at Anfield. That uncertainty has already opened the door for academy talent.

Lewis Koumas and Will Wright featured heavily in pre-season, as did fellow youngsters Trey Nyoni and Ifeanyi Ndukwe. They injected energy and promise, yet the scale of Liverpool’s ambitions demands more than potential. It demands ready-made quality in wide areas – especially after Salah’s departure ripped out the right flank’s reference point of the last decade.

That is where Barcola comes in. RMC Sport report that Liverpool are expected to return to PSG with an improved proposal this week as negotiations continue. There remains a gap between the clubs’ valuations, but the Premier League side are said to be intent on pushing ahead, convinced that Barcola can become the long-term focal point of their wing play.

The Mbaye chase, though, is the one gathering real speed. The same outlet claims the 18-year-old, born in France but representing Senegal at international level, has already agreed personal terms. With a contract framework in place, discussions between Liverpool and PSG are now set to intensify.

One significant obstacle appears to have cleared. Bayer Leverkusen, previously seen as serious rivals for Mbaye’s signature, are no longer expected to pursue a deal. That removes a major competitor and leaves Liverpool in a strong position as they try to close.

The tension around both players only grew at the weekend. Barcola and Mbaye were left out of PSG’s squad entirely for Sunday’s French Super Cup defeat to Lens, a decision that immediately fuelled speculation over their futures.

Pressed on the pair after the loss, PSG head coach Luis Enrique refused to be drawn into the transfer noise. “I will only talk about the transfer window at the end of the transfer window, not before or after,” he said. “When the transfer window is closed, I will talk about all the subjects.”

For Liverpool, the clock is ticking. The defence has been rebuilt, the next generation has been blooded, but the Salah-sized hole remains. If Mbaye’s move continues at its current pace and a breakthrough arrives on Barcola, Iraola’s first forward line could look very different by the time September begins – and so could Liverpool’s attacking identity for years to come.