MaplePitch Logo

Harwood-Bellis: Southampton's Best Centre-Back Amid Aston Villa Interest

Tonda Eckert has no doubts about Taylor Harwood-Bellis. Aston Villa might be pushing hard, but Southampton’s head coach is in no mood to play down his defender’s value.

“I think he's been the best centre-back in the Championship last season,” Eckert told BBC Radio Solent ahead of Saturday’s home game against Stoke. For him, the debate is simple: Harwood-Bellis is not just good, he’s one of the best in the country.

Southampton’s stance in the market backs that up. After batting away interest from Benfica, Saints have already rejected a bid from Aston Villa worth more than £18m this week. They are thought to want around £25m for the 24-year-old, who initially arrived from Manchester City on loan in 2023 before the move was made permanent for £20m.

Harwood-Bellis has kicked on since then. He earned an England cap in 2024, featuring in a Nations League game against the Republic of Ireland, and has become a central pillar of Southampton’s promotion push. That kind of profile inevitably attracts attention.

“It’s completely normal that if you are among the best centre-backs in the country there is interest, and there has been,” Eckert said. “He's always dealt with it in a great way, very professional, but he's a Southampton player.

“In the end my job is to train the players. There are some decisions for the board and owners to take.”

For now, Eckert’s concern is Stoke at home, not the numbers being thrown around in boardrooms. He has no hesitation about starting Harwood-Bellis, pointing to how the defender handled similar noise at the end of the January window.

“On 31 January, before we went to Stoke, there was heavy interest for him and he played one of the best games for us,” Eckert recalled.

The message is clear: while the market circles and bids creep up, Harwood-Bellis keeps playing – and Southampton keep setting the price.