Roberto De Zerbi Discusses Futures of Bergvall, Sarr, and Tottenham Academy Talents
Roberto De Zerbi has drawn a firm line over Lucas Bergvall’s future – but left the door wide open on Pape Sarr and a clutch of Tottenham’s brightest academy talents.
Bergvall going nowhere
Bergvall has been at the centre of transfer chatter all summer, yet De Zerbi could not have been clearer when asked if the Swedish midfielder would still be at Spurs after the window shuts on September 1.
“Lucas Bergvall, 100 per cent,” he replied, without hesitation.
The Italian revealed the pair spoke extensively during pre-season and made it plain he sees the 18-year-old as central to his plans.
“We spoke a lot in pre-season. He’s a top player with top potential player. I think now that he wants to stay and we have no problem.”
No wriggle room. No hint of a sale. Bergvall, in De Zerbi’s mind, is locked in.
Sarr’s future in the balance
The picture is far less settled with Pape Sarr.
The midfielder has attracted strong interest from Galatasaray, who are pushing hard to sign him after Brentford also registered their admiration earlier in the summer. Asked if he could guarantee Sarr would remain at the club beyond deadline day, De Zerbi offered no such promise.
“For Pape, he started pre-season late because he started in Senegal until first week in August, I think,” he said. “He’s a good player. I don’t know if he stays or not. We have to analyse the situation. But he is another very, very important player.”
It was an honest admission. De Zerbi rates Sarr highly, but with outside pressure growing and the player’s preparation disrupted, Spurs are weighing up their options as the clock ticks down.
Moore and the academy surge
Attention then turned to Mikey Moore, the 19-year-old winger who spent last season on loan at Rangers and is being tipped for another temporary move.
“I am happy with Mikey Moore,” De Zerbi said. “He is working well. He is a good player. I don’t know or not if he goes on loan. He has big potential for the club.”
That uncertainty over Moore’s immediate future sits alongside a broader theme: De Zerbi’s clear enthusiasm for the next wave coming through Tottenham’s academy.
“We try to find the best solution for every player we have. Also for Luca Williams-Barnett and Malachi Hardy. Big potentials. We’re proud they come from our academy.”
So Bergvall is nailed down. Sarr’s situation is under review. Moore, Williams-Barnett and Hardy sit on the brink of big decisions about their next steps.
With September 1 looming and clubs circling, Tottenham’s talent pool is rich. The question now is who De Zerbi chooses to build around – and who he’s prepared to let go.





