Cody Gakpo's Future: Tottenham's Pursuit Amid Liverpool's Dilemma
Tottenham refuse to let Cody Gakpo go quiet.
Even with a £140m double deal for Omar Marmoush and Savinho on the brink of completion, Spurs are still pushing to prise the Dutch winger from Liverpool, with Fabrizio Romano and David Ornstein both outlining the tug-of-war over his future.
Spurs won’t drop Gakpo
Gakpo arrived at Anfield from PSV Eindhoven in January 2023 and, despite a dip last season, has largely delivered in Liverpool colours. He has responded to the noise around his future with sharp pre-season form, intent on convincing new boss Andoni Iraola that he deserves a central role in the next phase of the club.
Iraola is open to that. If Liverpool’s other attacking plans stall, he is prepared to keep Gakpo. The winger wants to stay and fight.
But Tottenham are not going away.
Behind the scenes, discussions have already taken place over a switch to north London, and Romano has underlined just how serious Spurs are about the move.
“Don’t forget Cody Gakpo,” he stressed on his YouTube channel. “Don’t forget Cody Gakpo, because Savinho is going to Tottenham today in London for medical tests and contract signing.
“Omar Marmoush is expected to go to Tottenham as a centre striker, and he’s a target that is going to probably happen in the next few days, as I told you.
“But I told you always, right winger, left winger, centre striker. This was what I told you about Tottenham.
“And for the left winger, the name remains Cody Gakpo.
“Tottenham are working on it. Tottenham are working on the player side. Player terms are not an issue.
“And then Tottenham remain absolutely on it, on the club side with Liverpool.
“So Gakpo, Liverpool could be over in the next few days if the total fee can be agreed. Watch out for that one until the end.”
For Spurs, Marmoush is lined up as the central striker, Savinho as a wide option, but the plan has always included another winger. Gakpo is that piece.
Liverpool’s transfer equation
Liverpool’s stance is more complicated. The club have already brought in Victor Munoz and are pushing hard for Bradley Barcola and Yankuba Minteh before the window closes. Those pursuits have dragged Gakpo’s name into the frame as a potential sale to help balance the books.
Ornstein, speaking on TNT Sports, laid out the dilemma clearly.
“Liverpool are prioritising [Barcola], there’s no doubt about it. If they can get him from PSG, then I think we’ll see Gakpo leave,” he said. “If they don’t get him in from PSG, I think they’ll happily keep Gakpo.
“[Andoni] Iraola really likes him. It’ll all come down to the fee with PSG, and the gap is too big at the moment.”
So Liverpool’s decision on Gakpo is effectively chained to their chase for Barcola. Land the Frenchman from PSG, and the door opens for Spurs. Miss out, and Gakpo stays as a key attacking option for Iraola.
At the same time, Liverpool are driving on with Minteh. A strong update on Saturday morning has given them real confidence a deal can be struck, with Brighton’s likely asking price now clear and the player giving a firm green light.
“It definitely stands a chance, but if the numbers are not right for Liverpool, I hear that they have another option they’re weighing up and could pivot to if it doesn’t suit them with Minteh,” Ornstein explained. “I’m not ruling it out, of course.
“Brighton know he’s a coveted talent, so they want in excess of £70 million with add-ons, and I’m not sure Liverpool will want to go quite that far, but I really like the look of this player, and I think he could go to a level we’ve not seen so far.
“The injury is a concern, but if you’re so convinced by the talent, you could probably take the risk.”
Who follows Salah?
The broader question at Anfield hangs over the right flank and life after Mohamed Salah.
Not everyone is convinced Minteh is the answer there just yet. TNT Sports pundit Karen Carney sounded a note of caution over the 22-year-old’s readiness to inherit such a huge role.
“If you’re looking to replace [Mohamed] Salah, he isn’t going to be ready to jump into that mould,” Carney said. “He’s 22, young and extremely quick and explosive, certainly an Iraola type of player, but you question whether he’s fit and ready to go.
“Barcola is a very good player, still raw. I think he can be more clinical, but he’s won two Champions Leagues and is a French international, so I think he fits the bill.”
So Liverpool juggle three major threads: Barcola from PSG, Minteh from Brighton, and Gakpo’s future. Spurs, meanwhile, wait for the domino that could finally fall their way.
If the numbers line up and Barcola walks through the doors at Anfield, does Gakpo become the headline arrival in north London?





